KISSIMMEE, Fla. – The Bethel College Pilots men’s soccer team continued their trend of reversing early season losses with a 1-0 overtime victory over rival Grace in the NCCAA National Championship Semifinal round on Friday evening. Gabriel Ferreira blasted the game-winning goal in the 99th minute to send the Pilots to their third NCCAA title game in five seasons.
- Game Score: Bethel def. Grace 1-0 ot
- Records: Bethel (14-8-1) | Grace (15-4-4)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – not rated | Grace – receiving votes
- Location: Austin-Tindall Complex | Kissimmee, Fla.
- Note: NCCAA National Championship Semifinals
NEWS AND NOTES
- Grace defeated the Pilots 2-0 on October 3 this season in Winona Lake. The Pilots had previously not defeated the Lancers since October 5, 2013, going 0-4-1 since.
- The Pilots advance to the NCAA title game for the third time in five seasons, losing to Lee (Tenn.) in 2014 and Southern Wesleyan (S.C.) in 2015.
- Gabriel Ferreira led the Pilots with three shots—all on goal and all coming in the overtime period.
- Finn Luben added his team-leading and career-high 7th assist of the season to give him 21 for his career, tied for the 6th-most in program history.
- Andres Arce recorded his second shutout of the postseason, each without having to make a single save.
THOUGHTS FROM COACH PINTO:
- “Fantastic win tonight. Very proud of our team for another great performance against one of the best I’ve seen Grace have, but that’s not the prize as we have to get ready to play our best match tomorrow.”
- The Pilots will take the pitch for a shot at the NCCAA National Championship against top-seeded Southwestern Christian (Okla.) on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. The Eagles are defending back-to-back NCCAA national champions.
For the latest information on each of Bethel College’s 29 intercollegiate athletic teams, visit BethelCollegePilots.com or follow the Pilots on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at @BethelPilots or on YouTube at /BethelSportsNetwork.
|Austin Tindall Soccer Complex – Kissimmee, Fla.|
|OT||98:18||Gabriel Ferreira (Bethel (IN))|
|BETHEL (IN)||INDV. LEADERS||GRACE (IN)|
|#29 Gabriel Ferreira – 1||Goals||None|
|#6 Finn Luben – 1||Assists||None|
|#29 Gabriel Ferreira – 3||Shots||#12 Ulisses Miranda – 3|
|None||Saves||#1 Kurt Hamlin – 4|
|BETHEL (IN)||TEAM STATISTICS||GRACE (IN)|
|10 (5)||Shots (on goal)||9 (0)|