Pilots Can’t Stop Saints’ Second Half Rally
SOUTH BEND, Ind. – The Bethel University men’s soccer team found themselves up 2-0 early in the second half against Holy Cross, but could not hold a furious Saints’ rally, and fell 3-2 at TCU School Field on Monday evening. The Saints scored all three goals in a 16-minute span.
- Score: Holy Cross def. Bethel 3-2
- Records: Bethel (1-1-0) | Holy Cross (2-1-0)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – not rated | Holy Cross – not rated
- Location:TCU School Field | South Bend, Ind.
- 24’ | Lehy Felix (BU) unassisted
- 49’ | Matheus Santiago (BU) unassisted
- 50’ | Axel Valenzuela (HCC), assisted by Raymond Giang
- 57’ | Alex Valenzuela (HCC) unassisted
- 66’ | Daniel Lynch (HCC), assisted by Axel Valenzuela
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots outshot the Saints 20-12, including 12-7 on goal and held the advantage in corner kicks 8-4 on the night.
- The two teams combined for 7 yellow cards in a chippy affair. Jardel Oliveira Santos, Lehy Felix, Tanner Gibson, and Mario Casero each picked up their first cautions of the season for the Pilots.
- Matheus Santiago scored his first career goal for the Pilots, while Lehy Felix recorded a goal in his second straight match.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots travel to Missouri to take on the defending NAIA National Champions and current No. 1-ranked team in the NAIA, Central Methodist on Friday, August 30 at 8:00 ET.
THOUGHTS FROM COACH PINTO
- “Tough result tonight especially when we were creating chances to put the game out of reach. Things change rapidly within 10 minutes. We need to learn how to react better when the game is physical and fast-paced. How we react after adversity is the primary focus as we move onto a tough road trip.”