Mishawaka, Ind. – Following senior forward Gage Ott‘s game-winning basket over Grace on Saturday, junior forward Paul Forman took the mantle to redeem the Pilots in the game’s final moments, hitting the game-winner with under 20 seconds left before stopping the No. 22 team in the nation to preserve the victory.
- Score: Bethel def. Spring Arbor 81-80
- Records: Bethel (20-7, 9-6) | Spring Arbor (19-8, 7-8)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – No. 16 | Spring Arbor – No. 22
- Location: Wiekamp Athletic Center | Bethel College | Mishawaka, Ind.
- Paul Forman: 24 pts, 8-14 fg, 8-8 ft
- Gage Ott: 15 pts, 7 reb, 5-9 fg
- Trey’von Covington: 13 pts, 3 reb, 5-8 fg
- Ryan Lutz: 11 pts, 2 stl, 3-4 3fg
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots held the Cougars to just 19 rebounds, the fewest they’ve allowed in a game all season.
- Gage Ott is 6 rebounds away from becoming the 17th player in program history to reach 1,500 career points and 600 career rebounds. Ott went over 1,500 career points in the game and sits at 1,502.
- The Pilots extended their winning streak over the Cougars to 13 straight games. It is the second-longest active winning streak by one Crossroads League team over another.
- The Pilots ensure their sixth-straight 20-win season with the victory, and the 35th in the program’s 60-year history.
- Ryne Lightfoot became the second quickest men’s basketball coach in Crossroads League history to 20 career victories, hitting the mark in just his 27th game. St. Francis’ Chad LaCross reached 20 victories in just 26 games. Lightfoot is the quickest in program history to reach the 20-win mark, besting his father Mike who did it in 28 games.
COACH LIGHTFOOT SAYS
- “It was a gritty effort. It wasn’t always perfect but we showed toughness down the stretch. Down late in the game and our guys punched back. This late in the season it’s not about how you get it done, it’s about getting the job done. We have to reset and refocus and get ready for another big road test on Saturday.”
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots hit the road for a matchup against Mount Vernon Nazarene in Mt. Vernon, Ohio on Saturday at 3pm. The Pilots, in third place in the Crossroads League, currently hold a two-game lead over the Cougars, and a one-game lead over fourth-place Marian (Ind.), with three games remaining in the regular season.