Pilots Convert Multiple PKs in Physical Win
MISHAWAKA, Ind. – The Bethel College Pilots men’s soccer team returned to Morey Field on Saturday afternoon to take on Indiana Tech in a physical match and came away with a 2-1 victory. Facing a 1-0 deficit and forcing action playing a man up, the Pilots earned penalty kicks in the 65th and 78th minutes and Jose Barquin and Lucas Moreira converted to complete the comeback.
- Score: Bethel def. Indiana Tech 2-1
- Records: Bethel (5-1-1) | Indiana Tech (2-3-0)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll:Bethel – not rated | Lourdes– not rated
- Location: Morey Field | Bethel College | Mishawaka, Ind.
- 52’ | Scott McCarthy (IT) assisted by Ruben Leonardo
- 65’ | Jose Barquin (BC) penalty kick
- 78’ | Lucas Moreira (BC) penalty kick
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The match featured 18 fouls, 6 yellow cards, and 1 red card—on Indiana Tech’s starting goalkeeper—in a tightly-contested match.
- After sitting out for the last two weeks, Jose Barquin returned to score his second goal in four matches played this season.
- Lucas Moreira recorded his team-leading third goal of the season.
- Philip Keller now owns a .857 goals against average, currently ranking 36th in the NAIA.
QUOTES FROM COACH PINTO
- “I thought we were not at our best today. Defensively we were solid and only allowed Indiana Tech to be dangerous on set pieces. We missed a lot more passes than we normally do and we need to improve the quality and tempo when we have it.”
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots travel to Joliet, Illinois on Friday, September 14 to take on St. Francis (Ill.) with a 4:00 pm kick-off.