Pilots Give No. 20 Madonna Scare in Opener
LIVONIA, Mich. – The Bethel College Pilots women’s volleyball team opened their 2018 season on the road against a nationally-ranked opponent and nearly pulled off a come-from-behind upset. It was the host, No. 20 Madonna (Mich.), who staged a late rally in the fifth set to pull off a 3-2 victory. The Pilots held a 13-11 lead in the fifth set after rallying from a 0-2 set deficit to take the match the distance but could not find the final two points needed to secure the upset.
- Score: Madonna def. Bethel 3-2: 25-19, 25-18, 24-26, 25-27, 16-14
- Records: Bethel (0-1) | Madonna (1-0)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll:Bethel – not rated | Madonna – No. 20
- Location: MU Activities Center | Madonna University | Livonia, Mich.
- Payton Anderson: 42 assists, 10 kills, 9 digs
- Kassandra Williams: 16 kills, 6 blocks, .393 hit pct.
- Malerie Mech: 10 kills, 6 blocks
- Madison Rosenberger: 16 digs, 7 kills, 5 assists
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots dropped their third straight season opener. The last win in a season opener came on August 21, 2015 with a five-set win over Northwestern Ohio.
- Kassandra Williams set a career high with 16 kills. Her previous career high was 15, set on November 2, 2016 against Marian (Ind.)
- Madison Rosenberger’s 16 digs is the most by a freshman in her Pilot debut in program history.
- Madyson Beaver’s 11 assists is the most by a freshman in her Pilot debut since Sami Leach notched 30 assists against Cardinal Stritch (Wis.) on August 22, 2014
QUOTES FROM COACH WEISS
- “We played a hard-fought match tonight. We did some great things and we saw what we need to improve on. I’m looking forward to a great season!”
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots travel across town to take on IU South Bend on Tuesday, August 21 at 7:00 pm in the Student Activities Center on the campus of IU South Bend.