Pilots Shut Out in Challenging Match to No. 14 Wolves
MISHAWAKA, Ind. – The Bethel College Pilots men’s soccer team took to the pitch at Morey Field for the first time in 2018 and could not solve the No. 14 Cardinal Stritch (Wis.) Wolves, falling in a 2-0 shutout. After going a man down 5 minutes before intermission, the Pilots hung tough in the second half before allowing the game-winning goal in the 67thminute and an empty-netter just before the final horn.
- Score:Cardinal Stritch def. Bethel 2-0
- Records: Bethel (1-1-0) | Cardinal Stritch (1-0-0)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – not rated | Cardinal Stritch – No. 14
- Location:Morey Field | Bethel College | Mishawaka, Ind.
- 67’ | Victor Oliveira (CSU) | assisted by Rodrigo Rubio
- 90’ | Jack Hart (CSU) | unassisted
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Willian dos Santos was sent off in the first half, following two yellow cards for dangerous tackles, putting the Pilots a man down for the final 50 minutes of the match.
- The match featured 7 cautions and 1 ejection in a physically-challenging match.
- The Pilots were outshot 13-11 after leading the shots column after the end of the first half 8-4, managing just three shots after playing a man down.
QUOTES FROM COACH PINTO
- “I thought we did some many positive things in all phases of the game tonight. We held great shape and created some great opportunities to score even when having to play almost 50 minutes with a man down. I thought our player being sent off was incredibly undeserving, giving the two fouls he committed. That really impacted the game, but we performed well against a good team and have much to learn.”
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots return to action against No. 18 Central Methodist (Mo.) on Friday, August 24 at 7:30 pm at Morey Field on the campus of Bethel College.