Pilots Prevail in Overtime in Morey Field Opener
MISHAWAKA – The Bethel University women’s soccer team prevailed in overtime on Saturday afternoon over visiting Rochester, winning 4-3 less than 90 seconds into the extra period. Lian Glomski recorded the game-winner after a see-saw regulation time saw the Pilots lose the lead twice in the second half.
- Score: Bethel def. Rochester 4-3 ot
- Records: Bethel (2-0) | Rochester (0-2)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – not rated | Rochester – not rated
- Location:Morey Field | Bethel University | Mishawaka, Ind.
- 17’ | Nicole Fosnough (BU), penalty kick
- 28’ | Katie Byers (BU), free kick
- 52’ | Cassidy Kowalski (RU), unassisted
- 55’ | Cassidy Kowalski (RU), penalty kick
- 58’ | Emily Smithberger (BU), assisted by Nicole Fosnough
- 67’ | Cassidy Kowalski (RU), unassisted
- 92’ | Lian Glomski (BU), assisted by Alexis Vega and Kama Hardy
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots are 2-0 for the second straight season and just the third time in program history.
- Katie Byers notched her first career goal off a free kick midway through the first period.
- Nicole Fosnough and Emily Smithberger recorded goals for the second straight match, while Kama Hardy picked up her third assist of the young season on the game-winner in overtime.
- Rochester’s Cassidy Kowalski recorded a hat trick to account for all of the Warriors’ scoring.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots welcome Holy Cross (Ind.) to Morey Field on Wednesday, August 28 at 7:00 pm.
THOUGHTS FROM COACH LINDVALL
- “I was proud of our girls for battling back today. We did really well creating some great purposeful possession sequences, but just need to be a little more consistent with how we move the ball. Some great goals today and absolutely a great team effort to pick up the win in overtime.”