Pilots Prevail in Overtime in Season Opener
MISHAWAKA – Bethel Men’s Soccer waited until the 86th-minute to put home their first goal of the season—a game-tying goal—before winning the game in the 92nd minute. Willian dos Santos helped the Pilots celebrate a season-opening victory off the assist from Macrae Smith to put the Pilots in the win column.
- Score: Bethel def. Trine 2-1 ot
- Records: Bethel (1-0) | Trine (0-0)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – NR
- Location:Morey Field | Bethel University | Mishawaka, Ind.
- 45’ | Kaliel Alisaid (TU)
- 86’ | Richard Ontiveros (Saint Joseph HS) (BU), assisted by Anu Junior Alemanji
- 92’ | Willian dos Santos (BU), assisted by Macrae Smith (Penn HS)
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Franklin Joyce got his second career start in goal, while Arnaud Fady earned the win. The Pilots’ defense allowed just two shots on goal all game.
- Willian dos Santos recorded his first game-winning goal of his career, knocking home the decisive tally in less than 100 seconds into overtime.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots travel to Goshen on Wednesday to take on the Maple Leafs in the next installment of the US Highway 20 Cup Series at 7:00 pm.
THOUGHTS FROM COACH PINTO
- “It is always great to start the year with a win. Proud of our guys for persevering until the end and having the personality to execute when the game was on the line. We will build from the positive things we did and get ready for conference play on Wednesday.”