Pilots Secure Season-Opening Shut Out over SXU
CHICAGO – The Bethel University women’s soccer team got on board early in the first half and never looked back on their way to a season-opening 3-0 victory at Saint Xavier University on Wednesday evening. Nicole Fosnough netted a goal in the 11th minute while Sarah Lancaster and Emily Smithberger tallied goals late in the second half to secure the victory.
- Score: Bethel def. Saint Xavier 3-0
- Records: Bethel (1-0) | Saint Xavier (0-1)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – not rated | Saint Xavier – not rated
- Location:Deaton Field | Saint Xavier University | Chicago, Ill.
- 11’ | Nicole Fosnough (BU), assisted by Emily Smithberger and Kama Hardy
- 66’ | Sarah Lancaster (BU), assisted by Kama Hardy and Emily Smithberger
- 81’ | Emily Smithberger (BU), unassisted
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots won their season opener for the second straight season.
- Emily Smithberger was involved in every score for the Pilots, netting a goal and two assists. Her four points is the most in a season opener by a Pilot since Diana Diaz-Diurych on August 26, 2014 and the most in a Pilot debut since Amber Spencer on August 24, 2007.
- The Pilots allowed just four shots—one on goal—on the night and outshot the Cougars 15-4, including 10-1 on goal, and held the advantage in corner kicks, 9-1.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots debut at Morey Field on Saturday at 2:00 pm when they welcome Rochester University (Mich.).
THOUGHTS FROM COACH LINDVALL
- “Great performance from our women this evening to open up our season. Our preseason matches were really productive leading up to this and our girls did a great job of oving the ball and creating numbers-up situations in the final third. Kama came up really big tonight and Janae and our backs put in some great work to preserve the clean sheet as well.”