Pilots Shut Out No. 12 William Carey in NAIA Opening Round Win
MISHAWAKA – (RV) Bethel Men’s Soccer shut out No. 12 William Carey (Miss.) in the NAIA Opening Round on Thursday to advance to Saturday’s Opening Round championship with a 2-0 victory. Matheus Santiago gave the Pilots an early lead with a goal in the first ten minutes of the match, while Naieem Bean scored his first career goal in the 34th minute to give the Pilots all the cushion they’d need.
• Score: Bethel def. William Carey 2-0
• Records: Bethel (16-4-2) | William Carey (15-4-0)
• NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – RV | William Carey – No. 12
• Location: Voley C. Ashford Stadium | Missouri Valley College | Marshall, Mo.
• 10’ | Matheus Santiago (BU, ma-TAY-ose) assisted by Isaac Nunez
• 34’ | Naieem Bean (BU, NYE-eem) assisted by Matheus Santiago
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
• The Pilots were outshot 20-4 but allowed just five shots on target, while William Carey held the advantage in corner kicks 6-1.
• The Pilots recorded their 11th shutout of the season and their third straight of the postseason. Finn Popescu recorded his second shutout on the year and first since a season-opening 1-0 victory over Holy Cross.
THOUGHTS FROM COACH PINTO
• “Excited that the guys put a great performance against a top team at the national stage. Proud of how these guys have overcome adversity this year and continue to show heart. Focus on the next one Saturday.”
NEXT TIME OUT
• The Pilots will face No. 1-seeded and 7th-ranked host Missouri Valley on Saturday at 2:00 pm for the right to advance to the NAIA Men’s Soccer National Championship final site at Decatur, Alabama. The Vikings are the defending national champions and defeated Hastings (Neb.) 2-1 in their tournament opener earlier on Thursday.