MISHAWAKA, Ind. – The Bethel College softball team won in walk-off fashion in game one against Grace on Monday afternoon, before falling in the back end of a double header to notch their first Crossroads League victory since April 8 of last season and matched their season total of wins from last season.
- Game 1 Score: Bethel def. Grace 2-1
- Game 2 Score: Grace def. Bethel 9-6
- Records: Bethel (2-10, 1-3) | Grace (8-10, 2-2 CL)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – not rated | Grace – not rated
- Location: Gardner Field | Bethel College | Mishawaka, Ind.
- Kathryn Childers: 2-7, RBI, R
- Bethany Hogg: 7.0 IP, W, 1 ER, 3 K
- Hunter Brummett: 2-4, 2 R
- Mahri Younger: 1-3, 3 R
- Hannah Darling: 2-6, 2B, 3 RBI
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots took an early lead in game one on an RBI single by Mackenzie Orphanidis to score Childers. After giving up a solo home run in the fourth, Kathryn Childers knocked the game-winning single off the third basemen’s glove into left field to score Mahri Younger from second base to walk the Pilots off 2-1 winners.
- The Pilots gave up 7 unearned runs thru the first three innings of game two to fall behind early but mounted a comeback, returning six runs in the fourth and the fifth to pull within 8-6 but could not capitalize in their final at bat, leaving the tying run at the plate to fall 9-6.
- Bethany Hogg lowered her team-leading ERA to 3.29 with her complete game in game one, allowing just one earned runs—her fifth appearance this season allowing two or fewer earned runs. Hogg is the pitcher of record for both the Pilots’ victories this season.
- Hannah Darling delivered a timely bases loaded, two-run, two-out double in the fifth inning of game two, her first extra-base hit this season, to double her RBIs on the season to 4 total.
COACH REESE SAYS
- “It was great to get our first conference win and in an exciting fashion. Unfortunately, we put ourselves in a hole in game two, but I thought we showed a lot of heart in the comeback bid.”
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots return to Gardner Field on Tuesday for a regularly-scheduled Crossroads League double header against Spring Arbor (Mich.), with first pitch of game one set for 3:00 pm.