Pilots Survive Crosstown Showdown
MISHAWAKA, Ind. – The Bethel College Pilots men’s basketball team made enough plays in the second half to secure a 78-73 win over crosstown foe IU South Bend for their seventh-straight win in the decades-long series. Trey’von Covington scored a game-high 22 points—19 in the first half—to continue the Pilots’ undefeated start to the season at 6-0.
- Game Score: Bethel def. IU South Bend 78-73
- Records: Bethel (6-0) | IU South Bend (2-3)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll:Bethel – No. 23 | IU South Bend – not rated
- Location: Wiekamp Athletic Center | Bethel College | Mishawaka, Ind.
- Trey’von Covington: 22 pts, 9-11 fg, 4-6 3-pt
- Trevion Crews: 17 pts, 7 reb, 8 ast
- Paul Forman: 10 pts, 5 reb, 5 ast
- Gavin Rasler: 10 pts, 3 reb, 2-5 3-pt
- Kyle Hartman: 8 pts, 4 reb, 4 ast
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Paul Forman became the 40th player in program history to record 500 rebounds in his career with 5 on the night to give him 501 in three-plus seasons.
- Trey’von Covington scored 19 of his game-high 22 points in the first half to help the Pilots to a five-point lead at the break.
- The Pilots improve to 61-6 all-time against IU South Bend in the Crosstown Showdown.
- The Pilots did not attempt a free throw in the first half but went 14-of-18 in the second half.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots return to action on Saturday, November 10 in the Wiekamp Athletic Center against Madonna (Mich.) at 3:00 pm ET.