Pilots Win Fifth Straight With Shutout of St. Francis (Ill.)
JOLIET, Ill. – The Bethel College Pilots men’s soccer team scored late to tally their fifth straight win, as Jose Barquin’s game-winning goal in the 83rd minute pushed the Pilots past St. Francis (Ill.) 1-0 on Friday night.
- Score: Bethel def. St. Francis 1-0
- Records: Bethel (6-1-1) | St. Francis (2-4-0)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll:Bethel – not rated | St. Francis– not rated
- Location: Joliet Memorial Stadium | University of St. Francis | Joliet, Ill.
- 83’ | Jose Barquin (BC) assisted by Tanner Gibson
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots’ current five-game winning streak is their longest since winning six straight from from September 28 to October 15, 2016.
- Jose Barquin netted his third goal of the season and one in back-to-back games.
- Philip Keller recorded his third shutout of the season to place him in a tie for third place in the career record book in program history with 10.
QUOTES FROM COACH PINTO
- “I thought we struggled to find our rhythm with the heat on the type of turf field we had today. I’m proud of the effort we have been putting in games and “I know we still can reach another level on the final third and put some games away earlier. We have an important week to make progress towards our last game before conference play.”
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots return to Morey Field on Friday, September 21 to take on Campbellsville (Ky.) at 6:00 pm. Campbellsville ended the Pilots’ season last year in NCCAA National Championship Pool Play with a 1-0 decision.