Penn State to Host Buffalo Under the Lights at Beaver Stadium
- OPENING KICK: No. 15/14 Penn State will play its first night game of the season when it hosts Buffalo Saturday night. Game time is set for 7:30 p.m. on FOX.
- BIG START: Penn State opened its 133rd season football with a 79-7 rout of Idaho for its largest season-opening win since 1926 (Susquehanna, 82-0) and its largest home-opening win since 1991 (Cincinnati, 81-0). The 79 points scored were tied with Maryland (79-0 win over Howard) for the most scored in FBS in Week 1.
- YOUNG RUNNERS ROLL: Penn State scored seven rushing touchdowns in its opener, tied for the most in the nation with Air Force and UNLV. Five different Nittany Lion rushers found the end zone in the same game for the first time since 1999.
- BEHIND ENEMY LINES: Looking to post its fifth-consecutive 40-plus sack season, Penn State got off to a strong start with seven sacks against Idaho. The Nittany Lions also totaled 11 tackles for loss, limiting the Vandals to just five first downs and 4 yards rushing. Yetur Gross-Matos led the Lions in the game with 2.5 sacks.
- RETURN OF THE BULLS: Buffalo returns to Penn State for the first time since a 27-14 win for the Nittany Lions in 2015, which also took place in Week 2. Penn State fifth-year senior CB John Reid is the only member of either team to have played in that game. It was his first game in Beaver Stadium.
- THE OPPOSITION: Buffalo is coming off a 10-4 2018 season that included appearances in the MAC Championship game and Dollar General Bowl. The Bulls had a season-opening win over Robert Morris last week. Running back Jaret Patterson, the reigning MAC Freshman of the Year and a member of this year’s Maxwell Award and Doak Walker Award watch lists, rushed for 90 yards and a touchdown on 12 carries to lead a ground game that totaled 285 yards.