Third Quarter Deficit Too Much for Pilots
MISHAWAKA – Bethel Women’s Basketball made a furious fourth quarter comeback after trailing by as many as 26 in the second half but fell to Mount Vernon Nazarene 113-107 on Wednesday night. The Pilots trailed 93-67 with 43 seconds remaining in the third quarter used a 35-13 run to cut it to four with 1:46 remaining but could not keep the Cougars at bay.
• Score: Mount Vernon Nazarene def. Bethel 113-107
• Records: Bethel (7-12, 2-5) | Mount Vernon Nazarene (11-7, 5-1)
• NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – NR | Mount Vernon Nazarene – NR
• Location: Wiekamp Athletic Center | Bethel University | Mishawaka, Ind.
• Maiah Shelton: 17 pts, 4 stl, 5-9 fg
• Addi Jones: 13 pts, 5 stl, 5-11 fg
• Kallie McElroy: 14 pts, 3 ast
• Nyla Asad: 8 pts, 8 reb, 5 stl
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
• The Pilots forced 31 turnovers and turned them into 34 points.
• The Pilots struggled from the free throw line, shooting just 24-37 for the game.
• The Pilots’ second unit of Shelton, Jones, Morris, Williams, and Garcia combined for 49 points.
• The Cougars used a 22-6 run in the middle of the third quarter to open up their largest lead of the game at 93-67.
NEXT TIME OUT
• The Pilots host Goshen on Saturday at 1:00 pm in the Wiekamp Athletic Center in the latest matchup of the US Highway 20 Cup Series in a “Blue Out” game for the Pilots.