ROSEMONT, Ill. – After dropping game one in extra innings the Indiana University South Bend softball team rallied back, scoring four runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to take game two.
Game 1: Roosevelt def. IU South Bend, 7-6 (8 inn.)
Game 2: IU South Bend def. Roosevelt, 6-3
Records: IU South Bend 12-12, 7-7 CCAC | 10-20, 3-13 CCAC
Location: Ballpark at Rosemont | Rosemont, Illinois
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Both teams’ bats were quiet through the first two innings.
- An IU South Bend error led to the Lakers’ first run of the game in the second inning.
- Roosevelt recorded the first three hits of the game in the third inning, resulting in one run to extend their lead to 2-0.
- Maddy Hovious (SO/North Vernon, Indiana) recorded IU South Bend’s first hit in the top of the fourth inning.
- IU South Bend recorded four hits in the fifth inning, none bigger than a Brooke Boss (SO/Delavan, Wisconsin) grand slam to put the Titans in front 4-2.
- Two more errors cost the Titans three runs in the bottom of the fifth as Roosevelt took a 5-4 lead.
- Kaylee Warner (FR/Elkhart, Indiana) tripled in the sixth and scored on a Taylor Astell (FR/Brownsburg, Indiana) bunt to even the game at five.
- Errors haunted the Titans once again in the bottom of the sixth as they gave Roosevelt a run back to fall behind 6-5 going into the final inning.
- Kat Witting (JR/Lynwood, Illinois) knotted the game at six with an RBI single in the top of the seventh inning, scoring Boss.
- A Roosevelt triple and error ended the game in the bottom of the eighth as the Lakers walked-off winners.
- Astell, Boss, and Hovious each recorded two hits.
- Nichole Kirkpatrick (FR/South Bend, Indiana) earned the loss, moving to 6-5 on the year.
- IU South Bend totaled six errors in the loss.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Astell led off the game with a single and stole second, eventually coming around to score on a Boss single. Boss advanced to third on a throwing error by the Laker right fielder.
- Boss scored on a Hovious single to give the Titans a 2-0 lead after a half inning.
- An inside the park home run by Haley Huss cut the IU South Bend lead to 2-1.
- A Roosevelt run in the bottom of the third tied the game and the Lakers pulled ahead with another run in the bottom of the fourth.
- Boss recorded her sixth RBI of the day in the top of the seventh inning when she singled home Taylor Long (JR/Goshen, Indiana), tying the game at three.
- Hovious picked up an RBI in the seventh when she singled, scoring Astell who walked, putting IU South Bend in front 4-3.
- Brittany Probasco (JR/Hobart, Indiana) got in on the action in the seventh as she roped an RBI double to give the Titans a 5-3 lead.
- Kat Witting added an insurance run for the Titans as she singled, scoring Probasco.
- Boss and Hovious each recorded three hits and two RBI in the win.
- Delaney Cole (FR/Osceola, Indiana) picked up the win, tossing a complete game striking out six Roosevelt batters.
- The Titans will host Trinity Christian on Friday at Potawatomi Park. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.