Top 10 Matchup Set For Thanksgiving For No. 4/6 Indiana Against No. 7/6 Stanford In Bahamas
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – A pair of top 10 teams meet on Thanksgiving afternoon when No. 4/6 Indiana faces off against defending national champion No. 7/5 Stanford at the 2021 Pink Flamingo Championship. Tipoff is set for 1:30 p.m. ET on FloHoops.
#4/6 INDIANA (4-0) VS. #7/6 STANFORD (3-1)
Thursday, November 25, 2021 • 1:30 p.m. ET
Baha Mar Convention Center • Nassau, Bahamas
Radio: WHCC 105.1 FM (Austin Render)
Live Stats: Statbroadcast
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
ABOUT THE COACHES
Teri Moren Tara VanDerveer
Career Record: 351-80 (19th Season) Career Record: 1,127-256 (42nd Season)
Indiana Record: 152-80 (8th Season) Stanford Record: 975-205 (36th Season)
ABOUT THE CARDINAL
Stanford improved to 3-1 after a 68-62 road win at Gonzaga on Sunday night. The defending national champions return all five starters highlighted by All-Americans sophomore guard Haley Jones (13.7 ppg., 7.3 rpg.) and senior guard Lexie Hull (11.3 ppg., 6.5 rpg.). Sophomore forward Cameron Brink is also averaging double figures (11.3 ppg.) as the Cardinal are shooting 48.2 percent from the floor and averaging 36.3 rebounds and 5.8 blocks per game.
Series tied at 1-1
11/16/01 – L, 72-87 (Palo Alto, Calif.)
• For the first time since the 2009-10 season, Indiana will play in the Bahamas during Thanksgiving week in the inaugural Pink Flamingo Championship. The Hoosiers went 1-1 in the last time on the island at the Junkaroo Jam where it fell to then No. 15/18 Virginia and defeated Charlotte.
• IU is 4-0 for the fourth time under eighth year head coach Teri Moren.
• Junior forward Mackenzie Holmes paces her team with 18.0 points per game and one of five players averaging double figures. Senior guard Grace Berger adds 15.0 points per game while senior guard Nicole Cardaño-Hillary chips in 13.0 per outing.
• Senior forward Aleksa Gulbe paces the squad on the boards with 7.3 per game while Holmes adds 6.0 per contest.
• Graduate student guard Ali Patberg was named to the Big Ten Player of the Week honor roll for her two-game performance last week against Norfolk State and at Quinnipiac. The Columbus, Ind. native averaged 14.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists, +2.7 assist-to-turnover ratio and 1.0 steals per game while shooting 62.5 percent from the field, 57.1 percent at the 3-point line and 83.3 percent at the free throw line.
• The Hoosiers are heading to the Bahamas as one of the nation’s leaders field goal and free throw percentage. Their 50.2 percent clip from the floor ranks third nationally and their effort at the charity stripe ranks tied for first overall.
• Former Hoosier Tara VanDerveer, who’s in her 36th season at the helm of the program. VanDerveer played for Indiana from 1973-75 after transferring from Albany. She helped the Hoosiers to the AIAW Final Four in 1973. Indiana has faced its alum just one other time in school history, in a 72-87 loss to then No. 9/9 Stanford in the Stanford Tournament in Palo Alto on Nov. 16, 2001.
IU will face Miami (FL) on Saturday in the finale of the Pink Flamingo Championship at 8:30 p.m. ET on FloHoops.