SOUTH BEND, Ind. – It took Trinity Christian College 13 innings to defeat the Titans in game one of Friday’s Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference tilt but the Trolls got a sacrifice fly in the top of the 13th and went on to win the night cap to earn the sweep over IU South Bend.
Game 1: Trinity Christian def. IU South Bend, 6-5 (13 innings)
Game 2: Trinity Christian def. IU South Bend, 9-6
Records: IU South Bend 12-14, 7-9 CCAC | Trinity Christian 15-15, 8-8 CCAC
Location: South Bend, Indiana | Potawatomi Park
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Maddy Hovious (SO/North Vernon, Indiana) put the Titans on the board in the bottom of the third inning with a single up the middle scoring Taylor Astell (FR/Brownsburg, Indiana) who reached on a single and stole second to move into scoring position.
- A huge fifth inning from the Trolls resulted in five runs on six hits.
- Brooke Miller (SO/Goshen, Indiana) cut the IU South Bend deficit to two runs with a two-run single in the bottom of the fourth inning.
- Back-to-back doubled by Astell and Brooke Boss (SO/Delavan, Wisconsin) pulled the Titans within a run in the bottom of the fifth. Later in the inning Boss came around to score on a Shannon McCarty (SO/South Bend, Indiana) single to tie the game at five.
- IU South Bend starter Nicole Kirkpatrick pitched around a jam in the top of the eighth leaving two Trolls stranded on the bases.
- Trinity Christian got their leadoff batter aboard in the 13th and would move into scoring position on a passed ball. After a ground out moving Munoz to third with one out, Russell flied out to centerfield bringing home Munoz for the game-winning run.
- Astell and McCarty each recorded three hits while Boss finished with two RBI.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- After the Trolls score in the top of the first, Brittany Probasco (JR/Hobart, Indiana) put the Titans in front with a two-run single, scoring Boss and Astell.
- The Trolls evened the game at two in the top of the third inning and would score two more in the fourth to take a 4-2 lead.
- That lead did not last long as the Titans plated two runs in the home half of the fourth inning on a bases loaded walk and a Delaney Cole (FR/Osceola, Indiana) RBI-single.
- Another big inning for the Trolls was the difference in the game as TCC plated five runs on five hits to take a 9-4 advantage in the sixth.
- IU South Bend added two runs in the bottom of the sixth but were retired in order in the seventh to fall to the Trolls.
- Astell picked up three more hits in the loss, giving her six on the day.
- The Titans will travel to Hammond, Indiana on Wednesday to take on Purdue Northwest. First pitch at Dowling Park is set for 4:00 p.m.