VU Women’s Soccer Drops Final Non-Conference Match Monday
The Valpo women’s soccer team competed for the final time in non-conference play Monday evening in a rescheduled match at UIC, falling to the host Flames by a 3-0 final.
How It Happened
– A defensive-minded first half of play saw just eight combined shot attempts from the two sides, only one of which was on goal as the game went into halftime still scoreless.
– UIC was able to crack the scoreboard first in the 63rd minute on a goal from Emily Kavanaugh.
– The Flames added a 67th minute goal on a rebound effort from Keri Birkenhead, and closed the scoring in the 88th minute as Kavanaugh netted her second goal.
Inside the Match
– Monday’s match was rescheduled after being postponed from 24 hours earlier due to inclement weather in the Chicagoland area. It was Valpo’s first match on a Monday since a similar rescheduling in MVC play at Illinois State last season.
– The loss was Valpo’s first to UIC in five all-time meetings.
– The Flames owned a 16-5 advantage in shots over Valpo on Monday evening. Six of the Flames’ shots were on goal, with freshman goalkeeper Georgia Henkel (Houston, Texas/Stratford) making three saves before being relieved in the 67th minute.
Thoughts From Coach Marovich
“We did a very nice job for the first 60 minutes of dealing with UIC’s attack. Our back line stepped well and stole a lot of balls.”
“Unfortunately, we gave away a goal and didn’t respond to conceding the goal as well as we had responded in previous matches. These are important situations for us to learn from.”
Valpo (0-9-1) opens MVC play at Missouri State on Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. The match can be seen live on ESPN3.