UPLAND, Ind. – Indiana Wesleyan women’s soccer is Bama Bound. The Wildcats gutted out a 2-0 win over #14 Georgia Gwinnett in the championship match of the Marion Bracket. Both teams battled the weather as nearly two inches of snow poured on Turner Stadium requiring shovels to uncover the lines. This marks just the third time in program history IWU is headed to the second round.
The senior Lexis Garcia netted her 11th game-winning goal of the season in the 60th minute. Freshman, Kristy Bowden provided security in the 73rd minute, finding the back of the net on a cross from Lauren Turner.
INSIDE THE BOX
- Indiana Wesleyan nearly doubled up Georgia Gwinnett in the shot’s category firing off 26 to their 16.
- The Wildcats did double up the Grizzles in corner kicks, taking eight to their four.
- Sam Castanedaand the Wildcat defense collected their 12th clean sheet of the season.
- Bowden led IWU in shots and shots on goal with six and four.
- Sydney Brownwas second in the match landing three shots on goal.
IWU NAIA CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS HISTORY (* indicates Opening Round host)
- (2) Azusa Pacific (Calif.) 5, (15) Indiana Wesleyan 1
- (5) Notre Dame de Namur (Calif.) 2, (12) Indiana Wesleyan 0
- (14) Indiana Wesleyan 2, (19) Park (Mo.) 1
- (3) Azusa Pacific (Calif.) 3, (14) Indiana Wesleyan 0
- (6) Martin Methodist (Tenn.)* 2, Indiana Wesleyan 0
- (13) Indiana Wesleyan* 2, Houghton (N.Y.) 0
- (4) Azusa Pacific 2, (13) Indiana Wesleyan 1
- Houghton (N.Y.) 2, (8) Indiana Wesleyan* 0
- (9) Indiana Wesleyan* 2, Georgia Gwinnett 0
- (9) Indiana Wesleyan vs. Lindsey Wilson or Spring Arbor