Wise and Patberg Help Indiana Defeat Minnesota In Big Ten Tournament
INDIANAPOLIS – Redshirt juniors Ali Patberg and Brenna Wise combined for 29 points as No. 10 seed Indiana defeated No. 7 seed Minnesota, 66-58, in the second round of the Big Ten Women’s Basketball Tournament at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Thursday night.
- A hot start helped the Hoosiers (20-11) get out to a 20-10 lead at the end of the first, thanks to eight points from Patberg and frustrating the Gophers to just a 25 percent clip in the frame. It was also part of IU’s effort from the floor where they shot 64.3 percent.
- In the second quarter, it was more of the same from Patberg who hit back-to-back 3-pointers with 6:20 to play forcing a Minnesota timeout.
- IU would push its lead to 15 after Wise connected beyond-the-arc with two-and-a-half minutes remaining before the break. It would hold the Gophers (20-10) to no field goals in the final minute and a half of play as a bucket by sophomore guard Jaelynn Penn and one at the line from Wise made it a 42-28 lead.
- It capped off a half where the Hoosiers shot a combined 58.3 percent from the floor and hit 5 3-pointers.
- Minnesota would make a run for the Hoosiers in the second half, coming within seven in the third quarter with 3:04 to play. But a bucket by Penn and sophomore guard Bendu Yeaney hitting a pair at the line helped push back its lead to 11, 53-42, with 10 minutes to play.
- Making things tough in the fourth, Minnesota cut the deficit down under double figures with just under eight minutes to play. But Patberg would turn the tide back IU’s way with a her third 3-pointer of the night at the 6:42 mark.
- The Gophers would come within six with an and-1 from Destiny Pitts, but Patberg had the answer at the line in the bonus. IU saw its lead to come down to as few as six but hitting free throws down the stretch helped it put the game away.
- The Hoosiers improved to 20-11 overall, marking the ninth time the Hoosiers have won 20 games in a single season. They have also recorded 20 or more wins for the fourth-straight season, the longest streak in program history.
- Wise has scored 19 points, her 18th game scoring in double figures.
- Patberg scores in double figures with 20 points. This is her 22nd game in double figures as well as her 10th game with 20 or more points. She also averages 15.5 points per game and scored 14 of those in the first half.
- IU ended the first quarter 5 of their last 5 field goals. Ali Patberg led the team with 8 out of their 20 points.
- 7 different players have scored in first half, two in double figures. Wise and Patberg with 14 points each going into the second half.
- Hoosiers end the first half shooting 58.3 percent from field and 62.5 percent from the three.
- Penn scored 11 points making this her 19th consecutive game scoring in double figures. She also added a new season-high and team-high eight rebounds.
- Yeaney’s fifth game with five or more assists as she dished out eight on the night.
- Indiana advances into the tournament quarterfinals for the 14th time in school history making this their fourth-consecutive trip.
The Hoosiers will face No. 2 seed Iowa on Friday night. Tipoff is set for 6:30 p.m. ET on Big Ten Network.