BOWLING GREEN, Ky. — Indiana Wesleyan is one win away from advancing to the 10-team NAIA Softball World Series. After an upset win over No. 1-seed Saint Francis (Ill.) on Monday, Indiana Wesleyan turned around and defeated the host and No. 2-seed Campbellsville (Ky.) 10-7 on Tuesday to advance to the 2017 NAIA National Championship Opening Round Bowling Green Bracket championship game on Wednesday.
- NAIA National Championship Opening Round – Bowling Green Bracket
- Score: Indiana Wesleyan def. Campbellsville (Ky.), 10-7
- Records: Indiana Wesleyan 43-13 (2-0 OR) | Campbellsville 38-14 (1-1 OR)
- Bowling Green Bracket Seed: Indiana Wesleyan – No. 4 | Campbellsville (Ky.) – No. 2
- NAIA Top- 25 Rank: Indiana Wesleyan – Receiving votes | Campbellsville (Ky.) – No. 11
- Location: Michael O. Buchanon Park | Hosted by Campbellsville | Bowling Green, Kentucky
- The teams combined to leave 25 runners on base. Indiana Wesleyan left 13 stranded while Campbellsville had 12. IWU held a 16-9 advantage in hits.
- Campbellsville scored in six of the seven innings they batted in.
- Kristen Exposito hit a two-out, two run single in the bottom of the 1st to give the Wildcats a 2-1 lead.
- Kristen Exposito hit a home run — her 14th of the season — and Kira Madl added an RBI single to tie the score 4-4 after 3 innings.
- The Tigers carried a 5-4 lead into the 5th inning when the Wildcats plated four runs for an 8-5 advantage. Alex Springer keyed the rally with a two-run double that put the Wildcats on top 7-5 — a lead that IWU would not surrender.
- Carlie Weaver earned the win in relief. She limited the Tigers to four baserunners over the last 3 innings.
- Kaisey Carson: ND, 4.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 2 K; 2-for-4, 2B R
- Carlie Weaver: W (19-5), 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
- Lauren Buckley: 3-for-5, RBI, 2 R
- Kristen Exposito: 2-for-2, 3 BB, HR, 3 RBI, R
- Kelsey Kooistra: 2-for-3, 2 R
- Kira Madl: 3-for-4, 3B, 3 RBI, 2 R, SB
NEXT TIME OUT
- Indiana Wesleyan advances to the Bowling Green Bracket Championship with the victory. IWU awaits their opponent which will be determined later this evening. The first game will be at 1 p.m. ET on Wednesday and the ‘if necessary’ game is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET.