CLERMONT, Fla. — Southern Oregon scored four times in the 5th and 6th innings to overtake Indiana Wesleyan 4-3 in an opening round game of the 2017 NAIA Softball World Series. IWU drops to the loser’s bracket and plays an elimination game tomorrow at 10 a.m.
- NAIA World Series
- Score: Southern Oregon def. Indiana Wesleyan, 4-3
- Records: Indiana Wesleyan 44-14 (0-1 WS) | Southern Oregon 45-13 (1-0 WS)
- World Series Seed: Indiana Wesleyan – No. 9 | Southern Oregon – No. 8
- NAIA Top- 25 Rank: Indiana Wesleyan – Receiving votes | Southern Oregon – No. 20
- Location: Legends Way Ballfield | Clermont, Florida
- Southern Oregon put runners on 2nd and 3rd base with no outs in the 4th inning. But pitcher Kaisey Carson would escape the jam with no runs.
- The next half inning featured three Indiana Wesleyan runs for a 3-0 advantage. Victoria Boyer hit an RBI double, Carlie Weaver had an RBI groundout, and Emily Hastings hit an RBI single to account for the damage.
- Southern Oregon got one run back in the top of the 5th but left the bases loaded for the second straight inning.
- In the 6th inning, Southern Oregon put a run on the board for a 3-2 game. Indiana Wesleyan nearly escaped the inning with the lead in tact but an infield single and a throwing error on the same play allowed the tying and go-ahead runs to score.
- Indiana Wesleyan had one runner reach base over the final two innings. Victoria Boyer reached in the 6th inning on a one-out single and advanced to 2nd base on a Kelsey Kooistra sac bunt. But Boyer would be stranded to end the inning.
- Kaisey Carson: L (24-9), 7.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 K; 1-for-4
- Victoria Boyer: 3-for-3, 2B, RBI, R
- Kelsey Kooistra: 2 sac bunts
NEXT TIME OUT
- Indiana Wesleyan moves to the loser’s bracket and play the first elimination game of the tournament on Saturday at 10 a.m. ET. IWU will play the losing team between No. 4 Davenport (Mich.) and No. 5 LSU Alexandria.