‘Three & D’ Get it Done for Pilots in Rout
DUBUQUE, Iowa – The Bethel College Pilots men’s basketball team won their first game of the Holiday Inn Express Tip-Off Classic hosted by Clarke (Iowa) in convincing fashion, defeating Waldorf (Iowa) 105-51. The Pilots shot nearly 70 percent from the field in the first half in holding a 58-12 lead—their fewest points allowed in a half in nearly 40 seasons—and finished with 14 three-pointers made in the game.
- Game Score:Bethel def. Waldorf 105-51
- Records: Bethel (3-0) | Waldorf (1-2)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll:Bethel – No. 23 | Waldorf – not rated
- Location:Kehl Center | Clarke University | Dubuque, Iowa
- Nick Pluta: 17 pts, 7-9 fg, 3-4 3-pt
- Gavin Rasler: 13 pts, 5-8 fg, 3-5 3-pt
- Trey’von Covington: 13 pts, 2 reb, 3-6 3-pt
- Ryan Lutz: 12 pts, 2-3 3-pt
- Dominic Genco: 11 pts, 4 reb, 5-7 ft
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots allowed just 12 points in the first half—their fewest allowed in a half in nearly 40 seasons. The Pilots forced the Warriors into 27 turnovers—16 from Pilot steals—and held them to 0-of-15 shooting from the three-point line in the game.
- The Pilots opened the scoring on a 23-3 run in the first 9:03 and never looked back. Their 14 made three-pointers are the most since hitting 16 on December 20, 2017 at Keiser (Fla.)
- Five Pilots scored in double figures, led by Nick Pluta’s career-high 17 points on 7-of-9 shooting. Gavin Rasler also scored in double figures for the first time as a Pilot with 13 on 3-of-5 from the three-point line.
- The Pilots hit the century mark on the scoreboard for the 359th time in program history to improve to an astounding 339-20 (.944) record when they score 100 or more points.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots continue in Dubuque, Iowa on Saturday, November 3 to take on Saint Ambrose (Iowa) in the Holiday Inn Express Tip-Off Classic, hosted by Clarke (Iowa).