Team USA, Purdue to Host Team Canada Twice
GAMEDAY INFORMATION (Friday)
Team USA (EXH) vs. Team Canada (EXH)
Friday, Aug. 11 / 7 p.m. ET / Purdue Athletics Facebook Live (Larry Clisby, Rob Blackman)
Carmel, Indiana / Carmel High School
GAMEDAY INFORMATION (Saturday)
Team USA (EXH) vs. Team Canada (EXH)
Saturday, Aug. 12 / 4 p.m. ET / TBA (Larry Clisby, Rob Blackman)
Lafayette, Indiana / Lafayette Jefferson High School
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Purdue’s historic summer gets off to a big start this weekend, as Team USA will host Team Canada in a pair of exhibition games at area high schools. The games on Friday and Saturday will be the only tuneups for the Boilermakers in advance of their trip to Taipei for the 2017 World University Games.
Team USA, made up entirely of Purdue players, will host Team Canada in a pair of exhibition games on Friday, Aug. 11, and Saturday, Aug. 12, at local high schools. The two teams will face off at Carmel High School in Carmel, Indiana, on Aug. 11, beginning at 7 p.m. ET, then play at Lafayette Jefferson High School on Aug. 12, tipping off at 4 p.m. ET.
Team Canada arrived in West Lafayette on Aug. 6, and has been training in Mackey Arena in preparation for the World University Games.
Team Canada is heading to Chicago following the game at Lafayette Jefferson to fly to Taipei, while Team USA will depart West Lafayette in the evening on Sunday, Aug. 13, for a 12:30 a.m. CT, round-trip departure from Chicago to Taipei on Aug. 14. The squad will land in Taipei at approximately 5:30 a.m. local time on Aug. 15.
USA LOOKS FOR SECOND STRAIGHT GOLD MEDAL
- Team USA will be looking for its second straight gold medal in the World University Games after a Kansas-led team won gold in the 2015 event in South Korea.
- Purdue will be the third university team to play in the World University Games, joining Kansas (2015) and Northern Iowa (2007).
University Teams in World university games
Year Team Record Place
2007 Northern Iowa 5-1 9th
2015 Kansas 8-0 1st
- Team USA has been the dominant team in the World University Games, winning 14 gold medals, three silver medals and three bronze medals in the 23 World University Games that the USA has participated.
- Team USA has posted an all-time record of 144-11 in the World University Games. USA Basketball does not recognize the results achieved by both Kansas and Northern Iowa squads.
TEAM USA BY PLACE (Including Kansas and UNI)
Gold (14) 65, 67, 73, 77, 79, 81, 89, 91, 93, 95, 97, 99, 05, 15
Silver (3) 70, 85, 87
Bronze (3) 83, 01, 09
DNP (4) 07, 11, 13
} Did not compete in 2003.
TEAM USA IN POOL PLAY
- Team USA will play five games in pool play, before entering the medal / consolation rounds.
TEAM USA vs. pool play opponents
Team Record Last
Argentina 0-0 —
United Arab Emirates 1-0 W, 140-46 (2013)
Czech Republic 4-0 W, 96-53 (2013)
Romania 3-0 W, 94-80 (2011)
Estonia 1-0 W, 107-59 (1993)
- The medal / consolation rounds begin Aug. 27 and will finish Aug. 29, with the championship game set for 8 a.m. ET.
STAMP THE PASSPORT
- The trip to Taipei marks the third international appearance in the last 12 months for the Purdue basketball team with one more on the horizon.
- In November, Purdue will head to the Bahamas for the prestigious Battle 4 Atlantis.
- Purdue has posted a 6-0 record so far on international soil.
PURDUE’s whirlwind schedule
Dates Events Record
Aug. 8-18, 2016 Spain Foreign Trip 4-0
Nov. 22-23, 2016 Cancun Challenge 2-0
Aug. 14-30, 2017 World University Games
Nov. 22-24, 2017 Battle 4 Atlantis
- Carsen Edwards heads to Taipei in search of his second international medal of the summer. He helped Team USA to a bronze medal in the FIBA U19 World Cup in Egypt in July.
- This marks the second time that Matt Painter will lead a team into the World University Games. He guided the 2011 squad to a 7-1 record, winning its last seven games after losing the opener.
- Former Purdue players that have competed in the World University Games include Robbie Hummel (2009; Bronze), Troy Lewis (1987; Silver) and Stephen Scheffler (1989; Gold). JaJuan Johnson also tried out for the 2009 team, but was not selected.
- Isaac Haas tried out for the 2015 Pan-Am team, but was not selected, while Vincent Edwards tried out for the U19 team in the same year, but was also not selected.
- Purdue will be led by a quartet of seniors (Vincent Edwards, Isaac Haas, Dakota Mathias, P.J. Thompson) that have combined for 3,392 points, 1,420 rebounds, 837 assists and 377 trifectas while racking up a 74-30 (.712) record during their careers.
- Purdue led the Big Ten is scoring a year ago (79.7 PPG) for the first time during the Matt Painter era.
- Purdue finished the 2016-17 season ranked ninth nationally in 3-point percentage (.403) and second in assists (18.2).
- Purdue’s 38 Big Ten wins over the last three years are the second most in the league in that span (Wisconsin – 40).
- Head coach Matt Painter is 1-of-3 coaches currently in the Big Ten to win at least one regular-season or tournament title. Michigan State’s Tom Izzo and Michigan’s John Beilein are the others.
- Painter is 1-of-2 active coaches nationally (Arizona’s Sean Miller) under the age of 50 to have been to 10 NCAA Tournaments.