SPRING ARBOR, Mich. – The Spring Arbor University men’s basketball team opened Crossroads League play with a commanding 82-67 win over No. 16 ranked University of Saint Francis on Tuesday night inside the McDonald Athletic Center.
The win was the eighth straight for the Cougars as they improved to 9-1 on the season.
FINAL SCORE: Spring Arbor 82, No. 16 Saint Francis 67
LOCATION: McDonald Athletic Center | Spring Arbor, Mich.
RECORDS: Spring Arbor 9-1 (1-0 CL), Saint Francis 5-4 (0-1 CL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Francis raced out to a 6-0 lead less than two minutes into the game before Spring Arbor fought its way back to tie the score 11-11. Moments later, a basket from Payton DeWildt and a three-pointer from Brandon Durnell would give SAU an 18-14 advantage and the Cougars would never relinquish the lead again.
- After taking a 42-34 lead into halftime, Spring Arbor would increase the margin to double-digits quickly in the second half.
- The visitors stayed within striking distance through the first 10 minutes of the second stanza, trailing by eight, 59-51, with 9:27 to play. However, Spring Arbor would make its next four field goals, including two huge three’s from Luke Barber, as part of a 10-1 run to put the game out of reach.
FOR SPRING ARBOR
- Four Spring Arbor players scored in double figures. Barber led the way with 17 points, including 12 in the second half, going 6-for-10 from the field with four triples.
- Paul Marandet recorded his second double-double of the season with 15 points and 11 assists. Tom Hamilton and Durnell added 12 points apiece while Durnell also grabbed seven rebounds.
- Jeff Beckman and Daniel Cluster combined for 14 points off the bench.
- Spring Arbor, one of the top shooting teams in the country, finished hitting 54 percent (31-for-57) of its shots. The Cougars also had a commanding advantage on the glass, out-rebounding USF 37-24.
FOR SAINT FRANCIS
- Austin Compton had 14 points and David Miller had 11 to pace Saint Francis.
- The visitors ended the night shooting 45 percent (25-for-55).
Spring Arbor visits Grace College (8-1, 0-1 CL) on Tuesday, Nov. 27 with tipoff set for 7 p.m.